Cimo Fränkel: EXCLUSIVE Performance + Talks New Music & Writing For Snoop Dogg
Cimo Fränkel is a rare talent, who bares singer, songwriter, and producer under his belt. With a decade of experience in the music business, he’s already written a score of hits, including the multi-Platinum ‘Sex’ by Cheat Codes & Kris Kross Amsterdam, and hits for Snoop Dogg, as well as feature on records with internationally acclaimed artists. This year marks an important one for Cimo as he releases his self-titled debut album.
We chat with Cimo as he performs an exclusive of his latest song, ‘World Is Waking Up’ and a cover of ‘Let Me Love You’, by Mario.
1. Who is Cimo Fränkel? Singer, songwriter, producer, born in Amsterdam, love reinventing myself and I love learning new things.
2. Describe your sound in 3 words… Vintage, Modern, Clean
3. Tell us about your new self-titled debut album. What was your creative process?… This album was written in different places all over the world (Berlin, Amsterdam, London, Los Angeles, Beijing) but all recorded into the same setup in my own studios in Amsterdam and Los Angeles. I always like to start with a nice sound and some chords and I always have a full demo finished without lyrics.
The song to me has to sound great without lyrics so that it can only get better when the lyrics are finally written. That is what I did for this album, I am super specific on melodies and want them to be right before I start committing to the song.
4. Thanks for performing an exclusive cover song of ‘Let Me Love You’ by Mario for us. What influence did Mario have on your artistry?
When this song came out I was literally in love with it. Mario has one of the smoothest voices in R&B history and Ne-Yo songwriting is insane. That song came out around the time I started playing around with music and is definitely in my top 5 of songs that inspired me to write, sing, and produce. I had the chance to work with Mario and his raw voice even in the room is insane.
5. You’ve written hits for Snoop Dogg, how did that come about? and if you could collaborate with any artist, who would it be & why?
This started out as a fun pop record that we pitched to dutch dj Hardwell. He asked me if I could sing it more like Conor Maynard but I wouldn’t wanna mimic Conor’s style of singing so I just asked Conor to do it. And he did. Hardwell then pitched the record to Snoop Dogg for a feature and he wrote an original verse based on our lyrics to the song.
6. Besides music, what are you passionate about? Food, oh I love good food.
7. Name two artists we would find on your current playlist? Jorja Smith and Kiefer
8. What advice would you give to someone starting their music career? Is it ever too late to begin a music career? It is never too late. Talent is talent. My advice for people starting their music career would be: Don’t forget that music is emotion. Follow your heart and don’t let “technical” things distract you too much.
9. What next can fans look forward to? During this quarantine, I worked on making a lot of new songs for my artist project. Like I said earlier, They are all produced and all the melodies and sounds are there and now it’s time for lyrics. So soon I will be dropping a lot of singles probably forming a new album.