Iyamah on influences Lianne La Havas & Amy Winehouse and Truth EP1
We meet UK soul artist Iyamah. Her debut EP ‘Truth EP. 1’, garnered support from BBC Radio 1 Xtra’s Jamz Supernova, BBC Radio 1’s Phil Taggart and the legendary Sir Elton John. The release was followed by an EP launch at The Curtain which sold out within 24 hours.
She cites the likes of Amy Winehouse, Lauryn Hill and Erykah Badu as her influences from an early age. Its time for a one on one with this artist on the rise.
1. My Music can be described as… A combination of neo-soul, hiphop, reggae and R&B… I call it Rootsy Soul
2. On my Spotify you will find… A WIDE range of genres! From The Roots and Q-Tip to Indie Arie, Jill Scott, or more recent such as Kehlani, Snoh Alegra, Sir… to Protoje to Nitin Sawhney… I have some great friends who are doing great things also, Tiana Major 9, Wulu, JGrrey… my Spotify is abundant!
3. The Artists ive been inspired by are… Empowering women, such as Jill Scott, Erykah Badu, Alicia Keys, or in more recent years Lianne La Havas. However I really am inspired by rhythm, and rap that has strong lyricism like Kendrick Lamar and J.Cole is what I listen to the most.
5. If i could collaborate with any artist it would be… Anyone from Dreamville would be insane
6. I would describe my ‘Truth EP. 1’ as…Raw, and real honest. Some of these songs I’ve had for years, so I know they’re special ones that the world needs. These songs are the roots to my story, kinda like an introduction to who I AM.
7. My track ‘Won’t Work‘ is about… Taking your power back, owning your boundaries. It’s about learning what works for you, and what doesn’t, and having the confidence to be able to say so without any regret!
8. My Fav movie of all time is… Probably something like Shrek if I’m being totally honest
9. If I had to Snog, Marry or avoid Jay Z, Chris Brown, Katy Perry I would… Ummm well, Jay Z would be my favourite artist out of the bunch but there’s no way I could upset the Queen B… so Imma go marry Katy