Jess Chalker chats music inspiration Fleetwood Mac and track ‘Don’t Fight It’
1. Who is Jess Chalker in Three Words only?
Kind, fun, adventurous.
2. What top 5 tracks would we find on your Spotify or iTunes playlist? Just looking through and the last 5 tracks I listened to are Save Your Tears by The Weeknd, These Precious Things by Tori Amos, Nobody by Mitski, Bloodbuzz Ohio by The National and Positions by Ariana Grande.
3. We love your track ’Dont Fight It’ tell us a bit about that track?
For me, it’s about letting go of the idea you should always be happy, and embracing those down periods when you need them. Life is peaks and troughs. Depression can bring such personal transformation.
4. Who are your musical inspirations? David Bowie, Kate Bush, Joni Mitchell, The Beatles, Paul Simon, Radiohead & Fleetwood Mac.
5. We love your sound, the vibe is very ’Haim’ meets ’Florence’ would you agree with this? Thank you! I get that and think both are great, but would say this project is more inspired by artists like Stevie Nicks, Kate Bush, Tom Petty and Niki & the Dove.
6. Tell us about the new album ‘Hemispheres’ out Nov 5th
It’s a record I’m really proud of, with classic production and songs that have a lot of heart and nostalgia to them. There are a lot of band sounds and warm synths, big choruses and harmonies. I really hope people enjoy it and find something in it that speaks to them.
7. Where would you most like to perform? Red Rocks or The Hollywood Bowl
8. Who would you most like to open for? In a dream scenario, Fleetwood Mac or Paul McCartney
10. If you weren’t doing this what would you be doing?
Investigative journalist or maybe a spy!
11. If you could dabble in another genre of music, what would it be?
Part of me still feels like I’m a folk musician at heart, but I guess being a singer-songwriter means you can genre-bend a fair bit. I actually don’t really write thinking about genres, if a song calls for a certain vibe that’s what I’ll go for.
12. What genre of music can’t you stand to listen to?
I don’t really enjoy a lot of post-grunge rock bands like Creed or Nickelback. But aside from that I’m pretty open to all different types of music if it’s good. I listen to a lot of classical music as well.
13. What hidden talents do you have? I don’t know if it’s a talent but people always feel they can trust me with their secrets and personal stuff, even strangers. I’m a good 2am confidante.
14. Describe your style to us?
I like stuff that never goes out of fashion, and tend to mix a lot of vintage with classic pieces and designer stuff when I can afford it. Mostly I like being comfortable – dresses with sneakers, and a lot of free flowing wear. I also wear a lot of black!
15. Finally – what’s next for 2022? I’m going to be playing my album launch early next year and a few shows around that. There’s also a few collaborations on the cards, one really exciting one so watch this space!
DEBUT SOLO ALBUM
ACROSS ALL STREAMING SERVICES, CD & LTD ED PURPLE VINYL