Following on from their downbeat summer debut ‘Home Heart’, Manchesterian synth-pop duo Koalas reveal their hand with a double a-side of exhilarating left-field pop, ‘Lover / Two Loves’. We catch up with the guys for a Pre-Christmas one on one.
1. Who are Koalas? (In three words)
Not actually marsupials
2. How would you describe your sound and style?
Electronic synth-pop leaning on the icy side at times, woozy, definitely full of detune and chorus, hopefully in both senses of the word.
3. If you had to eat cheese for a year or Jam for a year which one would you choose and why?
Cheese, hands down, actually imagine eating just jam for a year, it would be awful.
4. Who was the last person you texted?
Sam: Rachel asking her whether she prefers Jam or Cheese.
Rachel: Sam saying I prefer cheese.
5. Why music & was there ever a backup plan?
Sam: It’s always been music since I was about 13… Whether I can make a career out of writing and performing songs remains to be see but I’m a studio technician as part of my day job.
Rachel: Music is the backup plan, I was supposed to be a badminton champion!
6. Who are you currently listening to at the moment?
Sam: Rounding up all my favourites of the year at the moment, Torres’ new album “Three Futures” has been getting a lot of plays.
“Plunge” by Fever Ray has been one I’ve come back to a lot as well, and topping the pop spots is “Blue Lips” by Tove Lo and “What Is This Heart?” by How To Dress Well. “American Dream” by LCD Soundsystem is still getting a weekly spins mas is the new Grizzly Bear album. Would be amiss not to mention Dirty Projectors’ self titled as well!
Rachel: Sylvan Esso, Bjork’s new album, Cate Le Bon, Glasser and Nadine Shah.
7. If Hollywood made a movie about your life who would you like to see play the lead role as you?
Sam: Peter SerafanowiczRachel: Amy Poehler, Kristin Wiig or Michelle Gomez, how to choose? All have terrific surnames as a bonus too!
8. It’s Christmas and dinners on the table, what dish do you have your eyes firmly locked on?
Sam: The butter fried greens.
9. What can we expect next from you in 2018?
Lots of new music and definitely a lot of new live shows, we’ve got a video for our latest single “Lover” coming out in the new year too. We’re constantly writing new songs and other pieces so expect plenty.
10. Lastly, where can we find you online?