Donae’O Talks New Music, His Playlist & Collaborating With Andre 3000 & Rapper Blanco
Donae’O is a British producer-rapper who has worked with numerous British musicians throughout his career including Giggs, Lethal Bizzle, Dizzee Rascal, JME, and Calvin Harris. We talk to the rapper in our Q&A below.
1. Who is Donae’O? Donae’O is a black, British-born producer who also raps, sings, writes songs and has been making music for over 20 years.
2. Describe your sound in 3 words… Energetic, Club, Uplifting
3. Tell us about your track ‘Vancouver’ Ft. Blanco I made the record because I’ve got a new record coming out and I thought that you always start a new project with a good introduction track, you don’t just jump into the main singles straight away. Plus I’m seen as a musician first so I always want to lead with creativity, and that’s what this track was. Blanco is one of my favourite rappers so I thought it would be good for me to work with someone fresh who would give me new energy.
4. Who is your biggest influence & why? My biggest influence is Jay Z because he focused on being an excellent rapper, then he focused on being a businessman and has made a long-standing career for himself and others. He’s just constantly grown and exceeded all expectations.
5. If you could collaborate with any artist, who would it be & why? I’d like to collaborate with Andre 3000 – he’s in my top 5 and it would just be fun.
6. Besides music, what are you passionate about? Besides music, I’m passionate about comedy, cartoons, fashion, and life – but music is my main passion!
7. What motto do you live by? Never stop, always keep going. Never back down.
8.Name one thing you can’t leave the house without? My wallet! I feel naked if I don’t have it on me.
9. If you could go on a date with any celeb, who would it be & why? I’d go on a date with my missus coz she’s a celeb to me. She just looks after me tremendously so that’s my answer.
10. Who is your style icon? Describe your style to us… love Yung Bane, Pharrell, Kanye, Travis Scott. My style is like hood streetwear.
11. What city/venue is your favourite place to perform and why? My favourite place is XOYO in London – I’ve done a few concerts there and I love the atmosphere and sound system. It’s just a really cool space, whoever built it knew what they were doing in terms of creating a great experience.
12. What is your creative process like? Initially, I like to go in and make as much music as possible and then I like to choose my favourites out of that lot instead of staying on one thing too long. I like to knock out loads of ideas and then I can be logical about what I want to continue with.
13. Name the Top 5 artists on your Spotify… Drake, Lil Baby, Lil Uzi Vert, J Hus & Skepta
14. What’s next for Donae’O? Singles, albums and hopefully producing more for other artists.