Canadian Indie-Pop Artist, Laurent Bourque on Sneakers, New Music and Happiness
Canadian indie-pop singer-songwriter Laurent Bourque is this month’s one to watch! His new single ‘Thinking of You’, produced by Dan Ledwell, has received playlisting love from Spotify’s New Music Friday, Indie All Stars, Fresh Finds: Index, featured on GlamGlare and was spun on SiriusXM’s Sunday Service. Written by Laurent, the new single features Jenn Grant on the lovely poppy choruses.
We grab him for a quickie 1-on-1 session.
Laurent Bourque! How are you? I’m GOOD. I haven’t been to London in a long time, so it’s nice to be somewhere that feels familiar yet new.
1. Describe your sound to us in three words only? Hmmm.
2. Whats you favorite track to perform, at a gig? I’d say a song called Dinner Party from my upcoming record Blue Hour (Out January 31 in Europe!). Mostly because live I perform it in a very different way from the record. It turns into a lovely long jam for the outro and I get to work out my piano skills for a minute. Good fun.
3. What music did you grow up listening to? So many different things but I think Smashing Pumpkins were my first obsession. Then Radiohead. Whatever music played in skateboard videos is what I was listening to. Skate videos are how I learned about most music out there in the world.
4. Who would you most like to collaborate with? I’d say someone whose music I love but would also get me out of my comfort zone. Probably Frank Ocean. I like collaborating with anyone who makes different music than I do. It’s the best way to learn new things and new ways to approach songwriting.
5. What embarrassing songs might I find on your iTunes/ Spotify ? Definitely France Gall. She’s a classic french artist with many fun hits in the 80’s. It’s perfect.
6. Whats your ritual before going on stage and how do you prepare? Five jumping jacks followed by some lip balm and a few sips of water.
7. Where’s been your favorite place to perform and why? I’d say Germany only because the audiences are so attentive. But that’s just for now… there’s still lots of places I haven’t played.I’m touring Japan in May and I can’t wait to see what audiences are like there.
8. Any loves, other then music? Tennis. If I could play tennis every day of my life, I’d be perfectly happy.
9. Whats your must have fashion item? For comfort reasons, my Asics Gel Lyte III’s. It’s the greatest sneaker on earth. And If i’m feeling flashy, my Yeezy 700’s Wave Runner’s. I definitely own more shoes than I should. It’s a problem.
10. Tell us about the new single ‘Thinking Of You’’… Thinking of you is a song about daydreaming about people that are no longer in your life. Whether it be a lover, friend, family member… Someone that meant a lot to you. It’s a song about the vulnerability we all feel when we think about someone, want to reach out to say hello, but never do because we’re too scared.