Rising UK producer Jack Swoon chats Tame Impala and track ‘Sombody’
Hailing from South London, much remains unknown about this raw UK talent other than his unique style of underground house blended with a melodic sensibility unique to himself. This is displayed fully on his somewhat eerie yet infectious debut single ‘Somebody’ which marks a new chapter for Jack.The fact he has signed to the iconic Three Six Zero Recordings, a label that can boast BBC Radio 1 tastemaker Pete Tong as its president, is a promising start to say the least. With plenty more releases to come this year, Jack Swoon is an artist to watch.
We got the chance to chat to Jack over lockdown.
1. Who is Jack Swoon in Three Words only?
Creator of sounds.
2. What top 5 tracks would we find on your Spotify or iTunes playlist?
3. We love your track ’Somebody’ tell us a bit about that track?
The track was actually a product of the first lockdowns of last year. It’s the first time I’ve been able to produce music that reflects exactly how I was feeling at the time. The vocal summed it up, it felt like I was never going to see anyone and it just reflected in my music.
4. Who are your musical inspirations?
I’m a fan of so many and I try to take inspiration from all of them. I grew up in the UK so my first real introduction to music was UK Garage but also artists like Caribou, Four Tet, Lovebirds, Jamie Jones, Kolsch… it really is endless and diverse.
5. What embarrassing songs might I find on your Spotify?
No songs are embarrassing. If you like it, you like it.
6. Where would you most like to perform?
Mambo’s Ibiza. It’s iconic and a place I’ve always visited. I’d love to do an extended set there just before the sunset til close, that would be amazing.
7. Who would you most like to open for? Sasha or Kolsch
8. If you weren’t producing, what would you be doing?
I’ve done so many jobs but honestly I think I’d still be working in the music industry somehow. Maybe as an A&R for a label or something.
Roy Davis Jr & Peven Everett ‘Gabriel’ has to be my all time favorite dance record.
10. If you could dabble in another genre of music, what would it be?
UK Garage or Rock. I’d love to do a movie score, I know that’s not a genre but whatever that would fall into.
11. What genre of music can’t you stand to listen to?
There’s no genre of music that I don’t like at least one song in, so that’s hard to say. I don’t like to be that guy that puts down other genres. All music is art and art is great. We need more art!
12. What hidden talents do you have?
I’m pretty good at Ten Pin Bowling. Great hand eye coordination.
13. Describe your style to us?
Groovy, hypnotic, slightly eerie yet musical. It’s hard to pigeon hole, It’s something that moves me in some way and I hope it has the same effect on those that listen to it. 14. Finally – what’s next for 2021? More music! It’s really difficult to know what’s going to happen in the world. Hopefully we get to go back to “normal” soon but until then I’ll be in my studio.