DJ Producer Stephani B chats collabs with Movada and embarrassing playlists
We meet brand new Perfect Havoc label signing producer, drummer and vocalist Stephani B. She has already been tipped for big things by BBC Radio 1. Here is our one-on-one chat.
1. Who is Stephani in Three Words only? Passionate, focused and energetic.
2. What top 5 tracks would we find on your Spotify or iTunes playlist? Right now, my top tracks are currently:
Here We Go Again – Ev Wilde, Shanice Griffin * David Ryan
Sober (La Da Dee) – Stephani B & Movada
Sunshine (My Girl) – Wuki
Drums – James Hype & Kim Petras
Baby Girl – Disco Lines
I’m quite into the new re-works at the moment, as you can tell haha.
3. Your latest track ‘Sober (La Da Dee)’ features Leeds-based Producer Movada. How did this collab come about?
I came up with the idea of reworking one of my all-time favourite classics ‘Gypsy Woman’ which I just LOVE! I wanted to put a new spin on it with a fresher sound, new lyrics and melodies with my own drum flare.
I took this idea to the studio with Movada and brought it to life, bouncing so many ideas off each other. We now bring to you Sober (La Da Dee), my debut release on Perfect Havoc which I am so proud of.
4. You’ve built up a following of over half a million on TikTok’ – how does that feel? It’s still a bit weird and overwhelming – it amazes me every day. It’s not something I ever imagined or anticipated to happen. It means a lot that I have people on a platform who are actually interested in what I do – I’ll never take that for granted and how it has changed my life.
5. Who are your DJ inspirations? Some big inspirations for me are Avicii, Calvin Harris, Booka Shade, Sheila E, Fred again….Booka Shade and Fred Again… specifically for how they incorporate infectious melody with a live drum element – I’m all about DJs being a bit different and bringing something fresh to the turntables
6. What embarrassing songs might we find on your Spotify? It has to be early Miley Cyrus, maybe even crossing into the Hannah Montana phase haha. I loved her growing up when I was very young and some of her old stuff connects with young me and reminds me of the younger days. A road trip special those albums of hers are for me haha!
7. Who would be your dream collaborator? Definitely Tiesto!! I am in awe of his work and music productions; he is an inspiration.
8. What hidden talent(s) do you have? Doing the worm backwards. It comes out at the occasional party.
9. Describe your style to us? My style is upbeat, feel good that is full of energy with uplifting riffs. It takes the usual four-to-the-floor drum grooves further by bringing live drums to house/dance music.
10. Finally – what events/ festivals have you got lined up for 2024? My next event is at Ministry Of Sound for the Perfect Havoc takeover with Benny Benassi in the main room. So cool! I’ve never played Ministry so this is really exciting for me. I have got many events lined up for 2024 and more to be confirmed – some of these include Blackthorn Proud 2 Bee and Victorious.